Muckross House (Theach Mhucrois) built in 1843 for the Herbert family. Extensive improvements were undertaken over a 6-year period in preparation for a visit by Queen Victoria in 1861. The Herberts hoped that the queen would either grant them a title or more land, either of which would help offset the money spent on improving their house. Queen Victoria spent 2 whole days with them, but after she returned home, her husband Albert died and she obviously forgot to reward the Herberts for their hospitality. So in the end, the Herberts were forced to sell their estate. Later owners donated the estate to Ireland, and it formed the baisis for the Killarney National Park.